Economic Development Sub Menu

When do I need a Zoning Permit?

A Zoning Permit is required for any of the following:

  • Fence
  • Deck
  • Swimming Pool (Above or In-ground)
  • Accessory Buildings Over 200 Square Feet
  • Garages
  • Any New Construction
  • Any Additions to House/Garage/Accessory Buildings
  • New Businesses
  • Occupancy/Change of Use Of Business
  • Demolition
  • Signs
  • Conditional Use Permits
  • Variance Applications
  • Appeal Application
  • Zoning Amendment Application
  • Zoning District Change (Amendment)

Do I need a zoning permit for an accessory building [storage shed]?

Maybe. It is the property owner’s responsibility to call the zoning department prior to placement of an accessory building that is less than 200 square feet; if placement does not meet requirements property owner will be forced to move structure to meet regulations. Garages do have to meet the requirement setbacks.

What about street, yard, craft and garage sale signs?

Ohio law and Brimfield Township zoning prohibits posting of signage on utility poles and in road right of ways.

As a courtesy the Township allows posting of signage 72 hours prior to the sale. All signage must be removed within 24 hours after the sale. Failure to comply will result in a citation being issued. Please honor this courtesy. Note – no signage allowed for 500 feet in either direction of the intersection of State Route 43 and Tallmadge Road.

No signage is allowed in any road construction area.

Michael Hlad
Zoning Inspector



Office Address:
4121 State Route 43
Brimfield, OH 44240

Mailing Address:
1333 Tallmadge Road
Kent, OH 44240